Thursday, May 12, 2016

Tokyo with Family

At the end of my trip with my family, we spent several days in Tokyo. When we arrived, the first place we went was to Odaiba. Here we rode in a Ferris wheel, had rice omelettes, and did some shopping. We also stopped in a game center and my mother and sister played a drum game.

The next day went for a sushi cooking class. I was very surprised to find that the sushi rice was made without a rice cooker. The teacher told us that when we prepare rice, the kind of rice, and the quantity of water are more important than using an expensive machine.

After that we went to the Meiji Shrine in the late afternoon. In the photo below the shadows of me and my mother are visible.

And in the evening we went to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. This building is not the highest or nicest observatory in Tokyo, but the admission is free.

At the top we had a nice view of the city, and stayed there to watch the sunset. Below is a video of the sunset and clouds from the top.

One of the next days we went to the Tokyo Skytree, the tallest building in Tokyo. I had never been before, so it was an interesting experience for all of us. The Skytree is a little ways away from the other tall buildings in Tokyo, so from the top the building looks really tall.

Another place we went was to the Tokyo Edo Museum. This very cool museum has life size models from the history of Tokyo. Above is my sister on a bridge in the museum. Below are some pictures from the most modern portion of the museum. I especially liked seeing the boxed copy of Windows 95.

While we were in Tokyo, we tried to spend all of our time doing things. I really enjoyed getting to be the tour guide for my family because I was in a unique situation; I have become familiar with Tokyo and Japan, and I know the kinds of things my family likes to do.

Below me and my sister are enjoying the massage chair section of an electronics store. Followed by a photograph from Kikanbo Spicy Ramen, my favorite spicy ramen store I have tried in Tokyo.

One further thing we saw in Tokyo were several foods cooked with gold foil. We tried eating the bar above and found that there was not really a taste from the gold.

At the end of the trip we had some interesting times at the train station. In the picture above is an unusually large crowd waiting for a delayed train. Below, I tried to record a video of my mother, but we were interrupted by the farewells of some Japanese men.