Sunday, May 15, 2016

Trip to Tsukuba

A few weeks ago when I was in Tokyo I had a day with nothing planned, and was staying in a hotel right by the Tsukuba Express. The Tsukuba Express travels from Tokyo to Tsukuba, so I decided to go and visit.

In Tsukuba I heard that there was a planetarium, so I made this my destination. On the way I passed through a park full of interesting things. Above is a statue of a man walking with his cat, and below is a large lambda.

This statue had this sign on it. It confused me a little why it was about traffic rules.

Near the museum was also a strange building, pictured above. Half of it looked like a public space, and the other half was the recycle shop pictured below.

The museum itself was nice to see. It had a large rocket on display, as well as a model of a fusion device. This particular one is a tokamak.

Also in the museum were some postcards. In 1985 the museum was built for a science fair, and these postcards were part of a display of trinkets from it.