Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Food in Shanghai

At the end of my trip to China, I spent a week in Shanghai. While I was there, I had a wide variety of foods.

Above is a picture of a closed Chicago Pizza restaurant I walked by. Below are two pictures of different large meals I had.

Below is a picture of a single person hot pot in China. At this restaurant you get a seat and a hot pot of broth, as well as any number of different vegetables and raw meats. The pot is kept at a boil, and you cook your food as you eat it.

One interesting restaurant I saw in Shanghai is the one pictured below. Me and my girlfriend walked down the street and saw this unmarked doorway to a bamboo path.

When we walked down the path we found a peaceful Japanese restaurant. It wasn't open at the time, but someone working there let us inside to look around.

Two additional foods I had in China were the Beijing roll from KFC pictured above, as well as some peanuts with hot peppers pictured below. The peanuts were very spicy. The red peppers inside were traditional spicy peppers, while the green ones are Sichuan peppers. These peppers have a very different flavor and make your mouth numb.

Finally, I had another fried squid. Above is a picture from last summer when I did a school project in China, and below is a picture from this trip.