Monday, October 26, 2015

A Weekend in Tokyo

Last weekend I got to go to Tokyo. I traveled down to the city Friday night, I spent nearly all of Saturday at Odaiba, an artificial island in the center of the city, and then on Sunday I saw a variety of things including the Meiji Shrine, before I headed back to Aizu-Wakamatsu for school on Monday. In the first picture is a very bright street at night. The second picture is from Odaiba looking at the Rainbow Bridge connecting Odaiba to the rest of the city.

Being in Tokyo, I felt sort of like the person in this subway ad below:

The biggest thing I during the trip was going to an event called Digital Content Expo.

In the first photograph above you can see some people trying out a device that uses ultrasonic transducer arrays to allow you to feel in one box the contents of the other. When two people put their hands in at the same time the computers would make you feel a gentle poke where the hands would have collided. In the second photo you can see me riding a sort of electric chariot.

Another fun thing I got to do at the Expo was to put on some springy stilts and a big bubble and jump around. In the photo above you can see that the combination looks strange. The stilts allow you to jump higher and run faster, and the big bubble makes falling down a little safer.

In the top photo above you can see a sunset from Odaiba, and the bottom is a big plate of Kanazawa Curry.

There were many things to do, see, and eat. I think I would be disappointed with my time in Japan if I didn't go back to Tokyo a few more times.